40 Fantastic Skin Care and Beauty Tips if You’re in Your 40s
If Charlize Theron Can Rock Good Skin Into Her 40s, So Can You!
It’s all about skin care and beauty tips. Aging gracefully is just as much an art as it is a science. We all want to continue looking our best as we move from our 30’s into our 40’s. The first step towards making sure that you keep a youthful appearance is taking proper care of your skin! With that in mind, here’s a list of the 40 best skin care & beauty tips, tricks, and advice to help make your 40’s your best skin years!
You’re In Your 40s? Here’s How To Look Younger!
Beauty Tips for the Inner You
1. Drink Lots of Water – Staying hydrated will help keep acne under control, and will also keep your skin from appearing dried out. Well-hydrated skin also tends to look fuller and will have fewer visible fine lines.
2. Exfoliate on the Regular – Make sure you use a gentle facial scrub 2-3 times a week to keep your skin super soft and smooth.
3. Cut the Vices – Smoking, alcohol, and highly caffeinated drinks will all have negative effects on the appearance of your skin. They can cause dark spots, wrinkles, baggy eyes, and a number of other problems.
4. You Are What You Eat – Keeping a diet that’s heavy on hydrating whole foods and probiotics will help your skin stay beautiful from the inside out. When possible, stay away from processed or sugar-heavy foods. Those can trigger inflammation that can contribute to the appearance of wrinkles, blemishes, and more.
5. Try Taking Biotin – Biotin is a natural supplement that helps improve the health and strength of our hair, skin, and nails.
6. Green Tea is the Miracle Drink – Drinking green tea on a regular basis will help your body’s natural detoxification processes. It will also improve your cardiovascular health. Additionally, green tea can be frozen into ice cubes that can treat inflammation and redness when applied to your skin. You can also use green tea bags on your eyes for 5-10 minutes to help reduce the appearance of fine lines, puffiness, and dark circles. Green tea is like four beauty tips in one!
Beauty Tips for Your Skin
7. Wash Your Face Every Day – Using a gentle cleanser, be sure to wash your face at least once a day, even if you’re not taking a shower. It’s best to do this at night, so that you remove all of the day’s dirt, oil, sweat, etc. before hitting that pillow.
8. Find a Great Moisturizer – You should be using a moisturizer at least 1-2 times a day. Definitely use a non-scented, oil-free lotion every time you wash your face or take a shower, to replace any natural oils stripped away by hot water or cleanser.
9. Use Face Masks – You should be using a face mask at least once a week. There are a ton of recipes for DIY masks online, or you can use store-bought products like Sephora Mask Miel. Hydrating ingredients like hyaluronic acid, glycerin, dimethicone, and ceramides will help keep your skin looking full and youthful.
10. Use Vitamin C to Fade Dark Spots – Vitamin C will help to naturally fade the appearance of dark spots on your skin. Most dark spot correctors will already have Vitamin C as an ingredient. You can also use small amounts of freshly squeezed lemon or orange juice as spot treatments.
11. Be Thorough When Removing Makeup – Many wipes and other products designed to remove your makeup at the end of the day won’t get it all the first time around. Always make sure you thoroughly clean your face so that you aren’t going to sleep with cosmetic residue on your skin.
12. Use a Cleanser with Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs) – These ingredients are thought to help stimulate cell reproduction in your skin. This means that not only does your skin repair itself faster, but it is also better able to absorb any other anti-aging products that you’re using in your skin care regiment.
13. Check Out Facial Serums – There are a lot of facial serums available on the market. Most of them use anti-aging ingredients that aren’t always found in cleansers or lotions.
14. Find a Great Dermatologist – A doctor who specializes in skin care is going to be able to give you the best advice for caring for your skin type and your unique needs or concerns. They may also be able to suggest treatments such as Botox or medical facials to help smooth out trouble areas.
15. Use Collagen-Boosting Products – Products that use stem cells and growth factors to help encourage collagen production will be fantastic at reducing the appearance of wrinkles, like Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Anti-Wrinkle Booster Serum.
16. Leave It to the Bees – Using products that contain royal jelly can make a huge difference in the health of your skin. Royal jelly possesses a ton of great vitamins, amino acids, enzymes, and fatty acids that have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Royal jelly works as an edible supplement or as an anti-aging skin cream. Bees just might be part of nature’s beauty tips mafia.
17. Always Use a Primer – Applying a good primer before your foundation is key to a smooth, youthful look. The primer will fill in any unevenness caused by fine lines, oversized pores, etc., Oftentimes primers come with color-correcting properties that help mask the appearance of red tones or dark spots.
18. Develop a Minimalist Approach with Makeup – Many cosmetics have formulas that easily settle into new fine lines or wrinkles that form as we go through the years. Avoid using excessive amounts of makeup to keep your skin looking smooth.
BOOMZIP BEAUTY PRO RECOMMENDATIONS
19. Use Cosmetics That Have Gold or Yellow Undertones – Foundations that feature gold/yellow/orange undertones have a warming effect on your skin’s appearance. This is important since our skin tends to turn more dull and pallid as we age. Stick to warmer-toned cosmetics to create the appearance of vitality and youth.
20. Opt for a Gloss Over a Lipstick – As we get older, our lips naturally become thinner and drier. Many lipsticks can draw attention to that thinness. A gloss will better reflect light to help our lips appear fuller. A gloss is also less likely to dry out your lips than a matte lipstick.
21. Don’t Go Totally Matte – If you want to keep a youthful appearance, try to avoid using a finishing powder over your entire face. Instead, stick to the areas that are most likely to have a little extra shine – like your forehead, nose, and chin. Staying minimalist with the powders will give you a dewy, fresh-faced look that is both natural and gorgeous.
22. Go Lighter Instead of Darker – It can be tempting to dye your hair a darker shade in an attempt to cover up any new gray hairs, but lighter tones will help you appear younger. Many dyes – even those for blonde shades – will still totally mask the appearance of gray hairs. Lighter tones or highlights will also help to brighten your entire face.
23. Opt for Highlights Over Full Color Coverage – Instead of dying your hair a completely different color in the effort to cover up any gray or silver strands, it’s best to stick with highlights instead. Just like the rest of us, our hair doesn’t recover quite as well in our 40’s as it did in our 20’s. Highlights will effectively cover up your emerging silver without totally frying your ‘do.
Beauty Tips for Your Eyes
24. Invest in an Eye Cream – A good eye cream will soothe any inflammation that may come up around your eyes during the night. Inflammation is what causes redness, puffiness, and bags. It can also contribute to fine lines and wrinkles.
25. Master the Art of Fake Lashes – Putting on dark brown lashes (which look more natural than black) before applying your mascara can help your eyes look bigger and more youthful, which contributes to an overall younger appearance. Pro Tip: Get eyelash extensions and you can look gorgeous every day!
26. Brighten Your Eyes – Thinly lining your eyes with a dark brown or black eyeliner, or using the right mascara, can help your eyes look brighter and more awake. This gives your face a more youthful appearance.
27. Fill in your Brows – Defined eyebrows will help to frame your face making you look years younger.
Beauty Tips That Help Stop You From Looking Old
28. Shun the Sun – We all love soaking up the sun, but the damage caused by UV rays is cumulative, and builds up over time. As we move into our 40’s, our skin becomes thinner and less able to repair itself, which means we become more susceptible to wrinkles, dark spots, and even cancer caused by unprotected exposure to the sun. Make sure you use a sunscreen with at least SPF 30 every day. One of our best Pro Beauty Tips: Wear a sun hat as often as possible.
29. Use Egg Whites for a Temporary Face Lift – The natural proteins and vitamin A in egg whites help to tighten your skin, which provides a temporary lifting effect. Just separate the whites from the yolks of two eggs, whip the whites into a froth, and let them rest on your skin for 15-20 minutes before washing them off with warm water.
30. Stick to a Regular Sleep Schedule – Hopefully, by this point in your life you’ve already established a pretty regular schedule for catching your zzz’s. But if you haven’t, now is definitely the time to start. Getting an adequate amount of sleep each night is key to making sure your skin stays fabulous. It will help your skin repair itself, which means fewer wrinkles, breakouts, dark circles, or puffiness/ inflammation.
31. Avoid Astringent Products – Astringents can be useful for managing oily skin, but as we get older many of these products can be too harsh and may end up drying your skin out. If you’re still combating shiny skin, try opting for a regular toner, oil-free moisturizers, and mineral makeup instead. All will help minimize the amount of excess oil on your skin without stripping your skin’s natural moisture.
32. Sleep With a Night Mask or Cream – Going to bed with a night cream or mask on your skin will help you to retain moisture and reduce inflammation.
Beauty Tips on the Physical
33. Stay Active – Engaging in moderate levels of exercise for at least 15-30 minutes a day will keep your blood circulation in good condition. This means that your skin will be better able to repair itself and will keep that rosy, youthful glow. Additionally, toned muscles will help to reduce the appearance of loose/ saggy skin or wrinkles.
34. Try Out Facial Yoga – Yes, there are actually yoga positions intended just for your face. They can work wonders for improving the appearance of wrinkles, loose skin, etc. Facial yoga helps tone all of the muscles in the face, and also improves circulation to keep skin looking rosy.
35. If You Don’t Like Yoga, Try a Massage Instead – Giving yourself a brief 5-10 minute facial massage every day will help improve circulation and make you feel more relaxed to boot. Lower stress and better blood flow means that you’ll notice fewer fine lines and wrinkles, and will be less likely to suffer breakouts.
36. Listen to Your Body – You’re going through a lot of changes as you reach your 40’s, which means it’s more important to listen to what your body is telling you than ever. Be sure to pay attention to your limits to avoid over-exertion. Pushing yourself too hard and putting stress on your body can cause inflammatory responses that make you look exhausted and much older.
37. Don’t Go Super Short – Keeping your hair long enough to frame your face will help soften the appearance of any loose skin or wrinkles that develop as we get older.
38. Make Time to De-Stress – You can absolutely see the effects of stress in our skin and appearance. Stress can cause fine lines, inflammation, breakouts, and more. Make sure you’re taking time every day to do something that helps you unwind, whether it’s yoga, chilling out with a good book, watching a movie with the family, etc. This is part of our sneakiest Pro Beauty Tips: Relax. Rest. Rejuvenate.
39. Contour Your Face – Take a bronzer or matte powder that is one to two shades darker than your natural skin tone, and lightly dust it along your jawline, hairline, and temples. This creates the illusion of more facial depth and brings attention to the higher points of your face (i.e. your cheekbones, nose, etc.). This makes your face seem more defined and youthful.
40. A Glass of Wine a Day Keeps the Doctor Away – Okay, not really. But a glass of red wine each night is actually good for you! Red wine is full of antioxidants which are great for restoring health and vigor to your skin. Wine will help keep your cardiovascular health in good order too.
Being in your 40’s doesn’t mean that you can’t still be as sexy, confident, and gorgeous as ever! Just follow some (or all!) of these beauty tips, and you’ll be certain to stay forever young.
HAVE YOUR BEST HAIR DAY EVER!
Deep Conditioning Your Hair – The Biggest & Best Guide
Ultimate Guide To The Best Facials: Get Clear Skin And Look Younger
Enter the “Most Beautiful Mom” Contest
71 Tips To Know Before You Get Eyelash Extensions
25 Reasons You Deserve BoomZip’s Hairstyling & Makeup App
Do You Have Damaged Hair? This 3 Step Routine Gets It Back to Perfect
You’re Invited To Be Featured In BoomZip’s “American Looks” Portrait Book
How To Stop Your Hair From Breaking
17 Hair Care Tips Every 40-Year-Old Woman Should Know
Will A Ponytail Damage Your Hair?
Enter the Real Women – Real Fitness Contest
You’re Invited To Be Featured In BoomZip’s “American Looks” Portrait Book
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
What does BoomZip.com do?
BoomZip.com empowers every person to experience beauty & wellness. We help clients everywhere, at any time, look, feel, and be their best – because we want everyone to Enjoy Life!
BoomZip.com is an on-demand beauty & wellness services provider. We provide affordable and superior hairstyling (updos, blow-outs, braids), make-up, mani/pedis, facials, men’s hairstyling/barbering & beard trims, eyelash extensions, yoga sessions, personal fitness training, nutrition coaching from licensed dietitians/nutritionists, spray tanning, and life coaching from some of the nation’s top life coaches, to our clients anywhere, at virtually any time. Our clients range from the working parent to the busy professional to the college student to the hurried stay-at-home parent to the socially active to the politician to the infirm to the local or national celebrity to the professional athlete to the media professional. Common to them all is that they believe looking, feeling, and being their best is a worthwhile pursuit. Our clients value BoomZip.com’s elite and background checked beauty & wellness pros providing services with no hassle and maximum convenience. BoomZip.com’s pros come to you! They provide the services wherever (in your home or office). And, they provide the services whenever (7-days a week, morning, afternoon, or evening). At HOME. At WORK. At WHEREVER! Click HERE to get the App and book your service now!
BoomZip.com: Beauty & Wellness To You!
So You Can Look, Feel, and Be Your Best
Like this article? Click HERE to Follow & Tweet it to friends